an oldie but a goody……….
What gender is a computer?
A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.
“House” for instance, is feminine: “la casa.”
“Book,” however, is masculine: “el libro.”
A student asked, “What gender is ‘computer’?”
The men decided that “computer” should definitely be of the feminine gender (“la ordenadora”), because:
1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is impossible to understand for everyone else;
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval;
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
The women concluded that computers should be masculine (“el ordenador”), because:
1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;
2. They have a lot of data but still can’t think for themselves;
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they are the problem;
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you had waited a little longer you could have gotten a better model.
so……….. which group is correct??